Kenneth Springirth 128 pages softcover
The Conneaut & Erie Traction Company completed in 1903, connected Conneaut, Ohio with Erie, Pennsylvania where it had trackage rights with the Erie Electric Motor Company. In 1906, the EEMC, which provided local trolley car service in Erie, merged into the Buffalo & Lake Erie Traction Company. The C&E linked interurbans of New York State with those of the Midwest. It went into receivership in 1909 and emerged as the Cleveland & Erie Railway Company. Heavy snowstorms of 1920 halted trolley service for long periods resulting in ridership decline, revenue decline and receivership, as it could not continue payments for the use of trolley trackage into Erie. The C&E ended trolley car service in 1922. With the B&LE also having financial problems, it reorganized. Erie trolleys came under the local ownership of Erie Railways Company in 1924. As automobile ownership increased, ridership declined and the system was converted to bus operation by 1935. This book covers the history of both the Conneaut to Erie trolley line and the Erie Trolley car system.