Scott Trostel 94 pages softcover
The Dayton and Western Traction Company was built from Dayton, Ohio, to Richmond, Indiana, by Dayton capitalists. It was originally an under-planned and under-financed line. After the Winter's family of Dayton, Ohio, purchased the line in 1899, and paid for construction of its extension from Eaton, Ohio to Richmond, Indiana, it became a high successful enterprise. It quickly moving from a passenger carrying conveyance to a major freight and express hauler, not just connecting Dayton with Richmond, but Columbus to Indianapolis and with other connecting lines, plus the states of Ohio and Indiana and beyond. It was leased to the Ohio Electric Railway in 1907 and was the key line connecting the vast O. E. to its counterpart, the Terre Haute, Indianapolis & Eastern Traction Company at Richmond, Indiana. It was taken back by the Winters family in 1920 and rebuilt, but times caught up with it. It was managed by the Cincinnati & Lake Erie Railroad from 1931 to 1936, and finally closed by the Indiana Railroad in 1937. It was one of the finest lines to operate in Ohio. 96 photos.