Vernon Glover 216 pages hardcover
In the late 1800s and early 1900s, copper was a growth industry in the
nation. The rapid growth of copper production and the surrounding towns
in southeastern Arizona made clear that wagon freight from main line
railheads was no longer sufficient — there was a need for more direct
rail connections to the east.
Discussions with the Southern Pacific led to building the El Paso &
Southwestern Railroad, an independent railroad, to El Paso, Texas,
financed entirely from cash reserves of the Copper Queen Consolidated
Mining Company. In the meantime, the El Paso & Northeastern was
building northward from El Paso, up through the Territory of New Mexico,
creating new towns as it went along. In 1905, the two railroads were
joined and their operations merged as rapidly as possible.
The EP&SW story is told in three parts: first, the origins of the
western part of the system; second, connecting El Paso with the coal
mines of Dawson, New Mexico; and third, the merger of the eastern and
western lines in 1905 into a unified system. Throughout its story,
strong personalities influenced the activities of the system: James
Douglas of the Copper Queen at Bisbee, Arizona; Charles Bishop Eddy and
John Arthur Eddy, guiding the EP&NE; Attorney William Ashton Hawkins
who, along with Douglas, influenced the merged EP&SW system until
its sale to the Southern Pacific in 1924.