David Morrison 128 pages softcover
Opened in 1913, Grand
Central Terminal is a world-famous landmark building with a magnificent
48-foot-high, 1,500-ton statuary group on top of the main facade.
Designed by sculptor Jules-Felix Coutan, a 13-foot-wide Tiffany clock
serves as the centerpiece. The figure above the clock is Mercury, with
Hercules to the left and Minerva to the right. In the late 1990s, a
historic restoration was performed on the terminal after which two
cast-iron eagle statues were placed over entrances at Lexington Avenue
and Forty-Second Street/Vanderbilt Avenue. These eagles were from the
1898 Grand Central Station building that was demolished in 1910 to make
room for the construction of the new Grand Central Terminal structure.
Penn Station, which opened in 1910, covered two full city blocks and had
statuary groups, designed by sculptor Adolph Weinman, on all four sides
of the building. After Penn Station was demolished in the mid-1960s,
the statuary was dispersed throughout various locations, mainly in the