Edward Kaminski 200 pages hardcover
The Magor Car Corporation, located in northern New Jersey at Clifton, was a significant railcar builder throughout much of the twentieth century. In the first part of the century, Magor concentrated on export railcars, aided by its proximity to the port of New York. In 1914, Magor's first freight cars for revenue use on an American railroad were built, and such sales grew steadily thereafter, though export cars continued as the company's mainstay for some years. In 1918, Magor was among the many firms which built cars for the United States Railroad Administration as part of its effort to construct 100,000 standard freight cars. Declining railcar sales during the 1960s led to Magor's closure in 1973. 237 photos.