Jeff Wilson 112 pages softcover
Modern Freight Cars, a new book by Jeff Wilson, provides an
overview of freight cars from the 1960s through today. This is an
essential guide for model railroaders who model the 1960s through today,
as well as railfans and freight train enthusiasts. The book features
more than 200 photos and covers various types of cars, including
boxcars, hoppers, and gondolas, and how they evolved, as well as new car
types, including intermodal cars and 89-foot auto tracks.
The book also gives a deeper look into how different industries use
freight cars, when cars entered service, and the dates when rules and
restrictions took place.
Other topics include:
- Freight car evolution (size and weight increases; new car types)
- Car components (brake systems, trucks, and couplers)
- Hi-cube and specialty boxcars
- Intermodal cars (flat, spine, and well cars)
- Open and enclosed auto racks
- Mechanical and cryogenic refrigerator cars
- Center-beam flatcars
- And much more!