Jeff Livingston 128 pages softcover
The US Army Corps of Engineers built the first Army railroad on Oahu in 1907 to use for construction of Fort Kamehameha. Seven batteries were built between 1907 and 1920, and the "temporary" railroad not only remained but was expanded to become a permanent one in 1920 with the establishment of the 41st Coast Artillery (Railway). The Oahu Railway & Land Company (OR&L) provided most rail service to the Army, beginning with Fort Shafter in 1905 and Schofield Barracks in 1909. Government tracks were built at Schofield Barracks by the Army between 1922 and 1933, including an independent 60-centimeter "trench" railroad system. Two highly specialized railroads were built at Forts Weaver and Barrette to serve the 16-inch gun batteries. With the advent of World War II, the Army, short on equipment, continued to depend heavily on the OR&L. The OR&L abandoned its main line in December 1947, and the Army's railroads were also soon removed.