Kenneth Springirth 128 pages softcover
Philadelphia's Streetcar Heritage is a photographic essay of the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania streetcar system. The first electric streetcar line in Philadelphia opened in 1892 and quickly replaced horsecar service by 1897. Streetcar lines were merged into the Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company in 1902 to achieve a unified system. There were 1,500 new streetcars purchased by 1913, which was the largest fleet of standardized streetcars ever purchased by one transit company. Ridership dropped during the Depression and PRT reorganized as the Philadelphia Transportation Company in 1940. After National City Lines obtained control of PTC in 1955, many streetcar lines became bus operated. Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority acquired PTC in 1968. The overhaul of 112 PCC cars began in 1979. Kawasaki Heavy Industries built 112 Light Rail Vehicles for the subway surface lines. With buses taking over Route 15 (Girard Ave) in 1992, only 5 subway surface lines remained. SEPTA restored Route 15 to streetcar service in 2005 using Brookville Equipment Corporation rebuilt PCCII cars. Philadelphia's Streetcar Heritage documents the city's streetcars, including Fairmount Park Trolleys and trackless trolleys.