C&OHS #38 Thomas Dixon Jr and Karen Parker 64 pages softcover
This book is a history of the Chesapeake & Ohio's diesel switching locomotives. When the C&O merged with the Pere Marquette in 1947 it inherited 22 diesel switchers. From then through 1953 the C&O bought a further 187. These are the engines that displaced the 0-8-0s and 0-10-0s of the steam era, switching freight and passenger trains. They also saw use as power for local and branch line freight trains and in one specific instance as mine shifters. Many of these versatile locomotives lasted into the 1980s, but all were gone by 1988.